Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The cough heard around the world

For Lent, I gave up meat, so I've been on a heavy salad rotation. Every week, I get enough produce and prep 5 salads at a time, and then have them for lunch each day. Yesterday I had my last one, and knew I had to run out to the grocery store, but thought best to wait until first thing in the morning. I was hoping for less people and more inventory.

My grocery store in on the north side of Chicago; we are land locked. The parking, where I usually park, is upstairs. Then, I get some extra steps in and take the huge staircase down to the main floor, which is where everything is.

As I was walking down the stairs, I was struck by how empty it is. Typically, on that upstairs level, there are a few people sitting at cafe tables and chairs - the grocery store workers, sometimes people who are learning about how to work for Instacart, sometimes just guests of the store. But today? Today all the chairs were stacked and tables, too, and there was plastic over them as not to be used.

Making my way down the stairs, in the barren desert that is Mariano's, I coughed. And I forgot all social cues, because I didn't even cough into my elbow.

At the bottom of the stairs, on a register right there, the woman turned around, with her hand covering a tissue that was covering her mouth, and just looked at me like, "Have you lost your damn mind?" Uggghhh. Unlike the schools, grocery stores won't close, and she has to be there to serve others. I felt terrible.

I was embarrassed, but even more so, feeling responsible for not doing my part to protect those in my community, sending germs out of my mouth and into the empty air all around me. 

In many ways I feel that I have been pretty responsible during these times. I have stayed home, except for the grocery store. I've been diligent about hand washing before and after coming in and out of my house. I have been connecting with my students on flip grid, and modeling calm, rather than panic, during these uncertain times. I've made a schedule for myself and have been exercising to keep my mental and emotional health strong, so I can be a model of that for others.

But that cough. That cough was a reminder again that we can always do more. You guys - it's not about us individually. It's not about me and my needs, but doing the things we can to protect those around us.

Hope everyone is staying home, unless a run out is absolutely necessary. Sending wishes of peace of mind, and good health your way, today, and every day.



Check out my former years slicing here. Find me on Instagram here. And twitter, here.

1 comment:

  1. There's also compassion and understanding, and patience, and remembering (sounds like she forgot) that we are a community of people, not robots. Forgive those around us, and forgive ourselves.
    Peace
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete