Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Not alone

Today I had a coaches meeting. We had a few objectives: (l) looking at different frameworks to elevate great lessons and (2) debriefing our book study book, Better Conversations.

One of the chapters we read was about common ground, how, when you're in a difficult conversation, it helps to find common ground with the other person. The facilitators did an amazing job, and we played this game where we were all placed in our "boxes" - I was in the literacy coach box, admins were in theirs, math coaches yet another, and so on. Then, the facilitator read some prompts and if it applied to us, we had to "come to the table."

Some of the prompts went like this:
  • I like to dance.
  • I was raised in a non-typical family.
  • I was bullied as a kid.
  • I was the bully.
  • I believe in life after death.
The prompt that was most shocking to me was, "I know what loneliness feels like," or something of that nature. As a single person who has been living on her own for the better part of the last 10 years, I definitely feel this from time to time, but what I didn't expect was for EVERY PERSON IN THE GROUP to understand that too. There were probably like 15 people together in this group, and every person came to the table.

Of course I don't wish that feeling on anyone, but it does make me feel a bit better to know I'm not alone in this experience. I guess this is the whole point: when you find common ground with someone, it really is pretty difficult not to accomplish great things.


Check out my former years slicing here. Find me on Instagram here. And twitter, here.

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful exercise to use with both teachers and students. I live alone too (divorced empty nester with college kids) so I understand your reflection. It is certainly difficult to think of people who have busy loud families under the same roof feeling lonely at any time. I guess it is true that you don´t need to be alone to feel lonely.

    ReplyDelete