Friday, June 21, 2013

Sushi Conversion

I'm not going to lie. Don't get mad if this is you: I always thought all of those people who were like, "Oh, let's go get sushi tonight!" thought they were so....what's the word? Like chic or something. Like they're going to have sushi because it's trendy and everyone is going out for sushi. I  never would suggest that to anyone I went to dinner with, because I didn't really ever eat it.



I mean, I have a few times. Mostly at our end-of-the-year parties with our old principal. Or if I happened to be at Whole Foods, I would pick some up. But, I never would suggest it if I was going out to dinner with friends.

Then I went to Cafe Sushi last night. It was Courtney's birthday (Happy Birthday, girl!) and as she was telling me last night how she loves it. It's a BYOB, and Jon brought a bunch of wine. There were 8 of us and we all picked something different and shared.

It was soooo good. Like, really good. I get it now. I was totally wrong to judge all the sushi-loving people prematurely! I'm so sorry!  : )



I asked what I should order since I am a newbie - they said spicy tuna, so I did. It was alright. Not my favorite though.

Some others I had:

Caterpillar
unagi, crab, avocado, cucumber, tempura crunch and avocado outside



I think unagi is eel? Well, I didn't really know what I was eating until I already tried it. I probably wouldn't have had I known, so if you're thinking about trying sushi for the first time, just try some and don't think about it! This one was pretty good. I love avocado!

Rock and Roll
spinach, cream cheese, unagi, salmon skin, masago with unagi sauce
This one, not for me. I don't like cream cheese, but I tried it anyways. Turns out I still don't like cream cheese - not on a bagel, not in sushi.

Sweet Potato Tempura Maki
Sweet potato tempura with avocado and cucumber
This one was my favorite of all of them. Perhaps because there was no fish, but I don't care. It was super good.



It was a definite learning experience. Of course I didn't really know how to go about things...I rarely use chopsticks, but I did that almost perfectly. Didn't know what the green and salmon colored stuff was with the rolls, so Jon and Justin had a little fun...


I was kind of asking about it, and Jon said, "Go ahead....try that avocado there. Take a big bite!" Then he looked over to Justin and they smiled....

I knew that wasn't the case, and then they told me that it was wasabi. I guess it's spicy - you can use it to add some heat to your sushi if you want to. Glad I had at least a little bit of an idea about it....



So, all in all, excellent night. Trying new things is good for you. I highly recommend it. Perhaps my horoscope yesterday led me to it: 

You are learning to like something you didn't like before. New revelations are a daily surprise for you lately, Scorpio. That's a very good thing. Revel in your newfound perspective. Immerse yourself in it. Experience it fully. You are going through a very important period of growth right now. Anything is possible if you learn your lessons well, and you are open to all of the possibilities, even if they are very different from what was meaningful to you in the past.





Is it silly that I read my horoscope? Perhaps that is a blog for another day....

Happy Friday everyone!


Couldn't publish this blog without this..... : )

Anyone want to go have some sushi with me? Stacey...it's calling your name! Comeon, try something new!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment