Thursday, June 13, 2013

Just wait on your burger....

So one of my former students is smart beyond her years. She will be a Junior next year - she was in my class during the 2009-2011 school years.  She has since moved to Georgia, but that doesn't stop her from checking in on me and also offering, mostly unsolicited, advice. Here's one of our last exchange of texts....

Her: Are you back in the dating world yet? Is that what you youngins call it these days?
Me: Hahhahaaa....kinda. I got on match, so maybe a date soon? idk.
Her: Lol, online dating? I think that's such an oxymoron.
Me: How else am I going to meet men? The bars are overrated.
Her: Whatever happened to meeting that guy in the meat department or at the laundromat?  Call me old-school, but having computers find your lover (ha!) is a little unorthodox.
Me: Lol. I don't spend much time in the meat department.....
Her: It is the 21st century though....
Me: Seriously lol-ing right now.
Her: How did you meet your ex?
Me: The bar. Look how that turned out.
Her: Here's what I think: I think you should just wait for that one guy to come along and sweep you right on to your hiney and that's that. People say it'll never come but how many of those people actually waited? Marriage is a hard thing and I think that filling out a survey isn't really all that realistic. Just wait, he'll come. My granny says that he'll come with hell or he'll come when you're ready. But he'll get there. It's like ordering a burger at McDonald's. You go order your burger and that one isn't really exactly what you wanted, so you go to another McDonald's and order another burger and then you figure out you don't want a  Mickey D's burger. You get one specially crafter for you at Burger Boss (Last time she was in town, we met here to catch up....) and you're satisfied. You went through hell to get that burger but you got it. Just wait on your burger. 

Ohhhh what would I do without my old students to tell me what's up? This is one of the reasons I love teaching. In the course of one or two years, you really get to know your kids and, if you're lucky, some of them stay close. There are just a few who regularly keep in touch now, but that's just enough to remind me of how lucky I am for their presence. And this is what I get paid to do!



And maybe she's right. This is kind of the reason for all the goals I set for myself this summer - the running, and writing, and meditating. Just doing things for myself that keep me focused on all the blessings I do have in my life. And yes, I did make a match profile, but honestly, it's so much work that I'm just kinda letting it sit there and what will be will be. I am thinking now that a better idea is to just wait on my burger : ) It is less work, after all...



1 comment:

  1. Love this. You are worth it Michelle-wait for your burger!

    ReplyDelete