Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mistresses

So I happened to catch Alyssa Milano on Live with Kelly and Michael yesterday. She was talking about her new show, Mistresses, which aired last night after the Bachelorette. I watched the show to get the deal on it, and it is about this group of four girls - two are sisters, plus their two friends - each of whom, all within the first episode, get caught up with infidelity in one way or another.



But, rest assured, Alyssa Milano, in her interview, said, "In no way are we glamorizing infidelity."



Here's my problem, and maybe I'm just hyperaware of things like this because my best friend is a relationship therapist (check her out on facebook - Relationship Reality 312).



Anyways, I just don't understand what is wrong with our society when it seems like this is the new norm. Whole shows are devoted to infidelity. People cheat. Couples get divorced and many throw away their relationship. How come people don't work harder for them? 



I know I'm not married, but I just was in a year and a half relationship, and even that wasn't easy. In a relationship of any kind, there's two people, who aren't the same. They have different needs, different wants. They deal with problems in different ways and don't communicate in the same way. Some share their feelings, some would rather not. Why do people jump into marriage expecting it to be easy? From what I've heard, it's not that way. 

But I get it. When you're with someone awesome, even the most ordinary things seem great. You're washing dishes, but the other person is helping you. You're planning a vacation, and they are going with you. It's like a sleepover with your best friend, every day. This is part of the reason I was having such a hard time with my break-up. But, at the end of the day, it wasn't the right relationship for me. I'm glad I figured that out before I got married...

So the show, I'll probably watch. Even though these four women should be talking about how to protect their relationships instead of cheating, I like that they are at least there for one another through everything. (Much like my best friends!)

I now leave you with this warning from Proverbs 6:32: "Adultery is a brainless act, soul-destroying, self- destructive." Keep your heart in your own relationship.


1 comment:

  1. Well said, and I'm glad you have the summer to write as well! I taped that program too, but have not watched it. The client list is another one that is pretty slutty, yet I watch it! Go figure.
    Love you..

    ReplyDelete