Monday, April 16, 2012

Good Eats & a Cool Treat

If you're trying to avoid carbs but are missing the spaghetti in your life, a spaghetti squash is a great alternative!

You'll need to pick up a spaghetti squash at the grocery store - they're pretty cheap and you can get them at any store, including target if they have a produce section.

When you get it home, pierce it a bunch of times with a knife. (I forgot to do this last time, and it exploded in the microwave, and I ate it raw.) You have to puncture it so the insides can steam thoroughly. After, put it in the microwave for 10-12 minutes on high. If you want to turn it over halfway through, you can do that, too. When it's done cooking, carefully take it out (super hot!) and let it sit for like five minutes.


Next, open it up longways. You'll need to remove all the seeds first and throw them away. 

Use a fork to pull the 'noodles' from the squash. The meat of the squash will shred and then you just need to transfer them to your pasta dish.


Top with some great sauce and you're good to go! Tomato sauce is one exception on the whole 30 - there's sugar in it, so technically you're not supposed to eat it, but you can. I put a ton of my dad's italian sausage in it, some onions, green peppers, and lots of spices.  Delish!



The sauce is the key to this dinner. I definitely can't use some random jar of sauce right off a store shelf (and I still read the labels on them to pick something that has the least amount of sugar). If you have a great sauce recipe, this will be a great dinner!


Cool Treat
I haven't had chocolate in ages, and tonight after dinner I was having some major chocolate cravings , so I made some Paleo Ice Cream! This is super easy as well - you need some chopped, frozen bananas, a heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder, and some milk of some sort (coconut milk, but I used almond milk because I'm lazy and have one day to go) to thin it out. Put it all in the bullet and wha-lah - chocolate ice cream!





Tomorrow is my last day of Whole 30! I can't believe it's come and gone so fast....time really does go sooo fast (Anita, are you picking up what I'm putting down here?) I will fill you in on the handful of times I cheated (no, really cheated) over the course of the last 30 days tomorrow, and then stats on Wednesday! Exciting, exciting!



1 comment:

  1. Love it....especially about the blowing up of the squash! HA, that was the 1st thing I told you about!
    love you and sooooo proud!

    ReplyDelete