Saturday, April 7, 2012

And then she was a runner....


So I've been using the Couch 2 5K app for about five weeks now (although it's been longer since I sometimes repeat weeks and then there was a 10 day stint where I didn't do anything - I do NOT recommend that!), but I am just finishing up week five. I did the first day of week five in Florida. I was nervous because every time I go up a week, I'm worried I won't be able to finish. On the first day of week five, I ran 5 minutes, walked 2.5 minutes, ran 5, walked 2.5, and then finished by running 5. I was so proud of myself because I finished, easy peasy.

Then I didn't run for like a week.

Yesterday I went out to do day 2 of week five (a little apprehensive, but thinking it shouldn't be a big deal because it was easy the first time) and usually the intervals are the same all week. So there I am, la, la, la la la, running along and the little voice comes on to tell me my stats. Now, on this app, you always get the stats when the interval changes - so you go from a walk to a run, or vice versa and she tells you your pace, interval distance, and total distance. So I stop running and walk, thinking that my ear buds were kinda falling out so I must have missed her telling me to change to a brisk walk. Then about 2.5 minutes later she tells me to slow to a brisk walk. I was so confused.

So I keep going and the second time I'm running, I pay more attention to her and she gives me stats but doesn't tell me to stop running, so I realize that the running intervals are getting longer (in this case, a 10 minute run, then a 5 minute walk, and then another 10 minute run) and I that I just screwed up the whole run.

Oh well, I thought. There's always tomorrow.

I go out again today, and this time, I'm running, and running, and running - get stats - and keep running, running, running - get more stats - and keep running, running, lalalalala, running - more stats, and one more running, running, running. And I did the whole thing. The whole 20 minutes (minus a few 30 seconds waiting on a stoplight) but yea! I did it! I wasn't even feeling tired cardiovascularly or physically and I was thinking, "So this is what  actual runners must feel like. You really can go and keep going, going, going."



It was at this moment when I thought back to what I've been reading about the mind and your thoughts - that you can run if you want to. Or, if you want to be a cook,  or save up money and go to Greece, or have a husband and a baby, or whatever - you can if you point your thoughts in that direction. In the book I've been reading about thinking habits one line that really stuck out to me was that you get what you think about whether you want it or not. (Dr. Wayne Dyer) It's so true!

So I'm in the process of changing my thinking habits about the food I was eating and it's working. (I'm on day 20 today!) For 20 days I've been eating nothing but good, nutrient rich food and I don't really feel deprived. I've done a decent amount of running along the way, and my body is changing. (Goal: To run more than 18 miles in April.) Some of my clothes fit better and I feel better about myself. I am sleeping a little better - I still wake up at least once a night, but when I'm asleep, I'm deeply asleep.

Other than that I can't really report any other improvements, but I feel good, and I like where I'm going.


And I'm not going to lie - I definitely want to lose some weight and look good in a bathing suit this summer...

Eye on the prize.





0 comments:

Post a Comment