Monday, July 16, 2012

Midwestern Summer

Now that my family and friends have all visited, and the moving is done, and my trips have ended, I'm finally getting a feel for a day in the life of summer vacation. Here's a few things that are 100% authentic midwest summer.


Public Pool
First day with nothing really to do, so I spent it at the pool caching some sun. It was there, listening to a kid yell "CANNONBALL!!" that creative inception struck (Is that how that saying goes? doesn't seem right.) Anyways, it just brought me back to the pool we used to go to in Lansing - complete with a concession stand and 15 minute breaks for the kids where only the parents got to swim. I actually asked one of the life guards at this pool (which is conveniently located 3 blocks from my new casa) if there was ever something like adult swim - there's like 1,000 kids in the pool - but no such luck. She said, "We get that a lot." I can imagine. Some A-hole of a kid was purposely splashing me while I laid on the deck. I had my back turned, but I know he did it on purpose. The first time I thought, hey you're at a pool. Gonna get wet. Second time, when he drenched my book, I turned around and gave him some dirty looks. Anyways, public pools and the lingering chlorine perfume you leave wearing - midwest summer.


Cooking Out
Oh yes, cooking out. I know, I know, we do this in Arizona too, but I'm just not sure why I think of it as more midwest. Maybe it's cause I call it "cooking out" and forever Katie made fun of me. Or maybe its cause you can roast a weenie on a stick (I've done that twice this summer!) Cooking out just so reminds me of the midwest, which I have come to love all over again.



As a side note, make sure you do your hot dogs right. 





Tree Lined Streets
You do not see this in Arizona at all. So many trees, and in some places like Oak Park, making almost a little tunnel down the street. Beautiful in the fall, and cool in the summer. Midwest through and through.


Backyard Garden
I'm so excited for the day when I have space to have a garden. We always did growing up - I remember in Riverdale my mom always had a garden. Maybe not in Indiana, but Holly's mom did. Picking cherry tomatoes right off the vine? Bliss. Would definitely like to grow a bunch of veggies, and plant some flowers, too.


Summer Lake Cottage
If I do end up staying in the midwest, a summer cottage is definitely on the bucket list. Thinking a small house with some toys - a speed boat, pontoon boat, and a jet ski. Have a flagpole with school colors flying? Yes, please. And plenty of time on a teacher's summer break to have all the family and friends come up once or a few times over the course of the summer months.


Bags
No one really played this game much in Arizona. Obviously not during the summer months, but we could have used them the 9 other months of the year. The best boards are like these - opposing teams and opposing fans. Nothing says Chicago like the CrossTown Classic, and fans from both sides always keep things interesting.


So there you have it. Midwest summer. What makes your neck of the woods special?


2 comments:

  1. I'm totally coming to your summer cottage EVERY year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tree lined streets too!!! Great post Michelle.

    ReplyDelete