Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Don't Think. Just. Keep. Going.

So I'm at my mom's and it's morning and she's making breakfast for my stepdad, Rob. She's making blueberry waffles. I really, really want some. Like, lots. I can smell them, they're right there...fresh blueberries swimming in a thick batter. (Let's get real - my mom was making Eggos!) Lucky for me, my mom won't let me ruin my 9 days that I've finished so far, and honestly, waffles or not, I don't want to ruin it either. So I tell myself in my head, "Michelle, the waffles will be gone in 5 minutes. You will be ahead when the waffles are gone. You don't need them." (Same thought, different day. I have this conversation every day with myself.)

Fast forward a few hours to shopping, and I can only imagine how much MORE fun (I love shopping regardless) this will be when I have finished this 30 day...but not only that but put in place some great habits to keep me moving forward even after. Even though I have already mentioned some food items that I definitely want to bring back, I will also be wise enough to let my body tell me when I should cool it on the not-so-healthy food.

btw - I ended up walking through the food court at the mall. There I was, trying to find a bathroom, and being assaulted by all the food. (Make this the second assault today, after the waffles.) I could smell orange chicken cooking at Panda Express and pizza at Sbarro. I could smell fries turning a golden brown in the fryalators at McDonalds. The sugar wafting from Mrs. Fields was calling my name. As I walked through there I was just considering that maybe I could hang around and indulge in all the fantastic smelling food (to clarify: just smell it all. not eat.) and then be good to go. Turns out that doesn't work. At all.


So I bought myself a dress instead : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

20 days to go. I have definitely been craving things today - chocolate and even something munchy, but I didn't budge. One of the only differences I've noticed so far is that I'm eating WAAAAY less than I used to. Today, I had 3 egg whites, bacon, and pineapple for breakfast, a Larabar, and then a salad and some pot roast my mom made for dinner. That's all....except a fruit rope and some OJ just a little bit ago. (I know, I'm eating too much fruit.) I'm not hungry at all, but I guess I just need to break all those old habits I used to have. I don't need to be eating all the time. I need to get busy! (Interpret as you wish.)

In an effort to give myself something in the way of my chocolate cravings, I'm planning on making this tomorrow (minus the chocolate chips, of course):


Paleo Mug-Cake
One last (random) thought --
Today I got a manicure and pedicure and had a white girl as my manicurist. Hello! My new bff would totally be the girl who did my nails if I had a white girl doing them all the time. We talked about drama with her best friend, how her boyfriend should be proposing soon and ideas for her wedding, the Hunger Games and Twilight...the list goes on and on. So. Much. Fun. Much different than this (although she's pretty funny) --->



So lesson to be learned - if you're having a hard time with this challenge, just go do something instead. Go running. Go shopping. Go lay out by the pool or beach. Get a manicure. Call a friend. Trick your mind to forget about the food you're not eating. Practice making good habits.

More to come on the mind games. I'm reading up on it!

4 comments:

  1. I went out for dinner with friends tonight at piece- the pizza place in wicker park. For my lent fast, cheese is a problem, making pizza impossible, I thought. But they make a New Haven (?) Style pizza with no mozzarella, but with parmesan. I ordered a small one with no parmesan and Jad a great dinner with friends.

    Mostly you want to eat the foods from your new diet in there best prepared way, but sometimes it's nice to have something that's made like the old foods you ate too.

    Glad your still handling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is HILAR. Awesome post Brez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo, this is from her mom.....
    I don't want any of you to think I would seriously make homemade waffles, Rob maybe, me, not so much! HA The waffles were again cooking in the toaster this morning so off to the trails she went. I will spray room fresher before she comes back! She's doing so good and I'm so very proud of her. I've tasted some of the stuff she's been eating and that alone makes me proud! Ha, I'd rather sew my mouth shut! LOL
    So, with this all being said, I will continue to help her along the way and be as supportive as I can be to her efforts, but please Shell, don't make me taste any more of your healthy stuff. I will continue to sneak the things that you so desire, but will not let you see it! Love you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave,
    Thanks for following my progress. I so want to eat something like I used to, but I've got like 19 more days. I can do it...and hope that closer to the end I'm not feeling like I'm going to binge on everything I can't have (like I feel now). Oh well. One day at a time. Lucky for me, I have people to talk with about it and help me along. It means alot!
    :) Michelle
    ps-My cousin writes a blog and posted about making a healthier pizza. Check out her recipe: http://realfoodlove-nourished.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete