Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Creating Yourself


When you're little, you watch Disney movies and picture your life in a way that resembles those movies. You know, the beautiful prince swoops in and well, there you have it. You fall in love in college, get married right after, and then live happily ever after in a house with a puppy and a picket fence.


Some people live this. I, did not.



Thankfully in my 20's, I read a little book called He's Just Not That Into You. I swear, I wish I would have read that book YEARS before I finally did. It's been my mantra, as sucky as it is, ever since.



That book helped me see that most guys weren't into me. (And now, finally, I'm totally okay with that.) I remember sitting at a bar, drunk with Katie and Jamie, saying, "No, Katie! He's coming back! He just went to a get a drink!" Luckily Katie had read the book too, and dragged me out of that bar before I made a bigger ass out of myself.

Anyways....back to the point...
So I'm not exactly where I thought I would be. You know, at 31 I was thinking I'd be married and have a house by now. But, that's okay.

I did get some stuff done in the past 10 years. Here's a few of them that I'm most thankful for....

I've racked up a list of amazing friends who are like family I got to hand select. I love all of these girls so much, and can't wait for the epic day when we're all in the same room together!

Heather, Jamie, Holls....circa 1999ish
Holls, remember when we used to wear matching shirts? : )
Katie & Holls....NYC Trip
Anita and I creating fun on an ordinary Saturday
Liz in 2011 at EX Promotion
Another bonus of skipping the get-married-right-out-of-college is a great career. You can't put a price tag on the amazing relationships and experiences I've come to have because of a career in education. (Well, you can. 2 degrees = $40K. Waiting to win the lotto to pay that off!)

Best boss....no contest : )

Awesome kiddos!

Donna and Petie

Can't complain when work = bowling!


Over the past 10 years, not only have I been able to work with amazing people, but I've also come to know myself and what I want....and what I don't want. I've got to live alone and be okay with time to myself. Sure, there's been days (weeks and months even) when I wasn't sure I made the right decisions and was pretty lonely, but it all led me to where I am now. And where is that? 



Moving. Again.

So as I go through all my stuff, once again, and say prayers that one day I figure out where i'm going to plant roots, I am going to remind myself that all of this stuff....this whole journey....happened for a reason and led me to this new place (back to Bucktown!) for some reason maybe I can't even understand yet.
So, to any of my friends out there who may be feeling the, "I'm ___ years old and still single" thing and dwelling on it (like I did for so long....), I say, don't sweat it. Instead, look at all that you got to do because you didn't get hitched right away. I mean, we're going to live to be, what....90 or 100 if we're lucky? There are so many years ahead of us for all that!

1 comment:

  1. I just re-read this. Such a good reminder. Good blog. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete