Monday, March 9, 2020

breaking: it's not a bomb

Made my 40 minute commute home and stopped at the grocery story by my casa. Got back in my car and started it, pulled out and as I'm driving through the parking lot, I look at my dash and it's blank. No speed, no gas levels, no RPMs, and none of the other little numbers all across it. Except ONE red dot flashing on and off. I'm creeping through the parking lot wondering what is up.

I pull back into another spot, put the car in park, and get out the manual. Look up the light and it has to do with security. It says that if it's on, then maybe the engine won't start. To troubleshoot, turn the car off, push the brake down, and restart.

So I do, but same issues persist.

I decide that at least I'm super close to home so I should drive there. And then call Honda.

As I'm driving the 0.5 miles home, I get to thinking what I always think when something is wrong with my car, that most certainly it's going to blow up. I then carry on this narrative thinking that I could jump out of my car, right now! But it's raining. But surely, someone prob attached a bomb to my car in the time I was in the grocery story. But, being the genius person I am, I figure, probably didn't happen, because it's still light out and I was only in the story about fifteen minutes. And honestly, who would want to blow up my car? I'm not that important. (Not mad about that either.)

When I get back outside my apartment, I call Honda. I end up setting an appointment for tomorrow morning, thinking of all the trouble it will cause to just get my car there instead of going to work. And then at the last minute he says, "You haven't by chance changed the battery in your key fob lately, have you?"

So I run upstairs, get my spare key, and sure enough that is it.

The bomb I thought was on my car turned out to just be an almost dead key fob battery. Seriously, I know I'm book smart, but sometimes I even surprise myself in my lack of everyday general knowledge. It's kinda cute though, right?

Check out my former years slicing here. Find me on Instagram here. And twitter, here.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I had similar experience, when I thought someone was backing up because of this weird beeping noise, and why was it taking so long to back up? Then, I discovered it was my car telling me that key fob battery had died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would it not be a light that looks like a key? How would you know that’s what it is if it’s never happened to you before? In my opinion, a bomb is a perfectly normal part of the thought process.

    ReplyDelete