Monday, March 14, 2022

it was 2020

 Two years ago, this past Friday, the world shut down.

A few days ago, I was walking back to my office to pop on zoom to do some collaboration with the other middle school teachers thinking it was so convenient that we now use Zoom as just another tool, and then I wondered, "How did we teach for so long from home on Zoom? Like, howwww?"


I went home from school that weekend in 2020 with all my devices thinking we would be out for two weeks and then our spring break.

I remember hypothesizing with friends, "Well, we are gonna miss St. Paddy's day, but hopefully we'll still have Easter."

Then it was hoping for our end-of-year rituals with the eighth grade.

Then fourth of July.

Why did we think it would end so quickly?


This weekend, the one of 2022, I was at Chicago's South Side Irish Parade and sang Friends in Low Places at the top of my lungs in a bar. It was nice to do those things again. But I know this covid lull won't last forever. Just praying we never go back to the worst of times from 2020 or 2021.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, we here in Cambodia are not back to "normal". I remember thinking it was going to be a two week blip too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years ago on that blissfully ignorant Friday, I had just returned to work after my Father's passing, thinking I was finally headed back into the work world. Then on Sunday, the shutdown. Grateful we're not THERE anymore!

    ReplyDelete