Thursday, March 21, 2019

overcommitted, but still finding the joy

Last week was rough for me. In particular last Friday was the worst. I was on exhaustion status which ran my patience thin. Then I reached out to a parent and had a response that I wasn't expecting. And so I cried. I got off the phone and went in the a quiet office to shake it off, and then went on about my day.

I haven't written since before then too, I have bitten off waaaay more than I can chew. I do this sometimes. Volleyball? Love it. Volunteering at church? Also love. Slicing in march with all my friends? Yes, please. But add that to all my other commitments and getting closer towards spring break and it's a recipe for disaster.

The last post I composed and connected with TWT was about a week ago, and around that time I had also read the post on TWT storytelling and band-aids. There's definitely moments when I'm writing on steam of consciousness and not doing the bit-by-bit storytelling. I think in the past week I  got in my head and was judging my work, and perhaps the past eight days when I haven't blogged, maybe I've given up a little.

But then I got an invitation to blog with friends. I was supposed to do this last Thursday, but then things were really hectic, and to be completely honest, I totally forgot.

But I've been remembering about this appointment ever since last Thursday at this time. Right now I'm visiting a fifth grade classroom and it's...peaceful. The room is lovingly managed by two teachers who hold very high expectations for the kids, and yet also find ways to joke and laugh with them in such a way that they kids can get right back to work shortly after. Their morning meeting was calming and full of smiles and now students are scattered around the room writing in flexible seating spots. A new friend came up and sat and chatted with me, and now we are sitting side by side, writing together.

What I love about this TWT community (and my local community here in Berwyn) is the connection it brings. To sit down with someone, and just be in the same space, even if that means you are sitting without talking, and writing instead, I honestly can't think of another place I'd rather be at this moment. Thank you KS and KVW for inviting me, and not being upset with me when I totally spaced last week. This moment has reinvigorated my writing life this month!


3 comments:

  1. Life gets overwhelming, it's hard being an adult at times. You're so good at bouncing back and moving on. You are someone that helps me get out of ruts and I thank you for that. Love you ☺

    P.S.- I figured out the comment problem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you came to visit us! You are welcome any time! Be sure to remember to take some time for you. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read that bandaid post last week, and now there are three days I have not posted. I'm sure the intention wasn't for us to feel like the bandaids are lesser than, but when I got overwhelmed I just chose to close the computer. And I am still here. No guilt. It's all good.

    You are the best, Michelle, and you deserve only the best. I mean, your hair bounces even when you are tired and overwhelmed. You are magical like a unicorn. :)

    ReplyDelete