Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Your new favorite breakfast!


You know you're better off without bread, right? If you think, "Oh, but this is 100% whole-grain bread! It's fine!" you're wrong.

Totally spelled wrong and so embarrassing!

So addictive. And once it breaks down, you know it's like eating candy, right?



If you need more evidence, read this book:



So, if you'd like to make a breakfast swap - ditch the bagel, or toast, or english muffin, or any muffin - for something non wheat-related, I offer you my protein shake!

You're going to need: some kind of blender, fruit, yogurt, protein powder, some OJ (or milk/almond milk), and ice.

First - start with the fruit. I almost always use strawberries, but today I added half of a banana, too. You can do blueberries, pineapple  kiwi, oranges....whatever you like, really!


Next, add a yogurt. Greek yogurt would be better and I should probably make the switch, but I don't like it on it's own. So, I go with the YoPlait Originals - no artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup.



Next, protein powder. If you're going to buy some: I recommend buying a sample size first. I bought two big containers of this brand and I'm not really a fan - it tastes too chalky. But, I'm going to use it because it's so expensive. Anyways, add this next.

I don't recommend putting the powder in the cup first, especially if you have a Magic Bullet. Sometimes when it's far from the blades it doesn't get mixed thoroughly...


Moving on - add just a splash of OJ or you could use milk or almond milk to smooth it out a little.



You're ready for the first blend. Get all these ingredients blended up first before you add the ice.



Then just a few ice cubes and blend again.



And there you have it - a perfect, protein-packed breakfast! Sorry, I got so excited, I drank it before I took the pic!




And....you're more likely to attract the men with big muscles this way!

ha!

Do you have a great smoothie recipe? I haven't tried spinach or any kinds of greens in mine, but I would love to make a version of that Green Machine by Naked Juices! Please share if you do!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle! le Rey and I are looking at blenders right now because we want to make more smoothies and soups! We made some recently on vacation with frozen spinach, frozen berries, cranberry juice, half a banana and carrots. You couldn't even taste the carrots or spinach!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete