Friday, March 8, 2019

when lunch stinks

I am a meal planning person. Every weekend I make a bunch of lunches and some dinners and portion them up so I'm good to go daily with healthy food to keep me feeling well throughout the week. This week I made a Portillo's Chopped salad (it's delicious) and homemade dressing.

The dressing consists of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and a bunch of spices.

Fast forward to yesterday, I ate in my classroom alone. Was much in need of some quiet time. Salad was delicious, I ate at my conferring table. And as the kids came in for block 4, I haphazardly threw all the dishes into my lunch bag, but didn't close up the containers. I didn't realize how strong of a scent that particular dressing had.

Block 4 began, I was working on some other things outside of my room, but ran back to my space about 45 minutes later to grab something. I come in to Israel shaking his head. "Ms. Brezek. Why?" He, along with a few others, were working together with their teacher at my conferring table. Israel continues, "That smell, it's terrible. What was that?"


I had no context for what he was talking about. I must have looked confused, because his teacher chimed in. "I moved your lunch bag over there and also dropped a few drops of lavender essential oil. The kids were really distracted by your lunch."

Israel continued, "Yeah, it smells so bad. What *was that?"

Feeling a little embarrassed, I realized I didn't wash the dishes or or even close the lids. "Oh yeah, sorry guys, it was salad dressing..."

Israel interrupts again, "It's like, I just can't focus. It's so strong." He's shaking his head, clearly distraught.

At the time, I didn't realize how strong it was. But that night after school, I didn't go home, I had another commitment. And on my way there, I slammed on my brakes, my lunch bag flew to the floor, and the scents got all wound up again. I picked it all up, but when I got into my car that evening after about 3 hours of time, it did smell. It totally stunk, and I could feel Israel's pain.

How is it that I can have a delicious lunch and the remnants are just miserable?!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's impressive that you plan out your meals for the week. Good work! I think I would have loved that smell of that dressing- it all sounds like things I like. That said, as some kids (others) do, I have a strong sense of smell, and if I didn't care for a particular smell, I hope I would politely ask about the smell's origins. I hope the experience didn't make you self-conscious to not eat that delicious salad/dressing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat in my room every day, and the kids always complain. They've got such sensitive noses! I bet there were also less-vocal kids who thought it smelled delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile:) Recently, one of my students came into my room while I ate a salad with bacon bits and was mesmerized by the smell of the bacon bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you are so organized as to make your lunches on the weekend. Your story reminds me of one of our teachers. If anyone brings something that she doesn't like for lunch, she literally yells at that person and tries to shame them for bringing that food item.

    ReplyDelete