Thursday, January 8, 2015

fajitas for lunch!

Well, things are looking up eating wise. I think I've gotten past the crazy kill-everyone feelings from a few days ago. I'm settling into the fact that a "treat" means a cup of hot tea. As my bff says, "It's just food, not love, Michelle." She's right! Even though thoughts like this roll through my mind all the time...

Thanks MD for the pic on fb today!

Today I am home on a 'cold' day (which stinks because now we're saying so long to our Martin Luther King 3 day weekend and the three day weekend in February in observance of President's day). So, being home for lunch, I actually had some time to make some fajitas!

I made these for some friends over winter break and one said, "I don't even like green peppers - but these are great! What did you do?" Yes, they're that good!



Here's what you'll need:
Pack of boneless chicken
Assortment of Bell Peppers (Or just green ones)
Onion
Garlic
Olive Oil
Lime
Cilantro
Tortillas
Toppings: Salsa, cheese, guac, sour cream...whatever your preference!

Directions

  1. Marinate the chicken (at least) overnight in Italian dressing. This is key - this marinating will make your chicken so tender and juicy! It's actually gotten to the point now where I won't eat chicken at home unless it's been marinated!
  2. On a grill (or on an iron cast stove-top pan) grill all the chicken. Remove it from the grill, let it cool.
  3. Slice onion and peppers - however big or small you'd like it, but definitely in slices.
  4. Put some olive oil, fresh garlic (or the garlic in the jar?) into the pan. Throw the onions and peppers in there. Let those cook for a few minutes.
  5. While those are cooking, slice the chicken.
  6. Throw the chicken in with the veggies and let it get "nice and happy" (as my dad would say).
  7. Juice at least half a lime into the mixture. If it gets too limey, add more garlic. For me, those two kinda cancel one another out.
  8. Throw some cilantro in there if you'd like.
  9. Get your tortillas ready (flour taste better to me, corn more healthy...)
  10. Dish up some fajita mixture into the tortillas and then top with your faves!
Serve with some chips and salsa or rice to complete the meal and a Margarita will make it perfect!

Wish I had guacamole!

I know that there are a ton of seasoning packs at the grocery store you could buy, but it's so much better when we control the ingredients. I know everything that is in this meal and it's all way healthier than using a packet of seasoning that has a bunch of additives that who knows how it's affecting my body! I've just had this in mind a lot lately as I make food choices - no more "low-fat" stuff to save on calories...what they take out calorie-wise goes back in with chemicals!


What are you having for dinner tonight?


0 comments:

Post a Comment