Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Speaking Truth to Power

I did not watch the Golden Globes. But, like many of you I'm sure, I saw Meryl Streep's speech yesterday morning upon waking up.

Look, I get why so many people voted for Trump.

They didn't want to vote for someone in the establishment.

They thought, "He does all kinds of business, he could be good for our country."
They didn't want to vote for Hillary.

I understand.

This post isn't about saying things like, "Are you happy now?" or "Look what you did."

This post is to appreciate someone who used her position to speak truth to power.

Can you image if everyone who held power - and by power, I mean people who have a camera on them, people who have a stage to share their ideas to the general public - but can you image if everyone who was in this kind of position called people of power to account for their poor choices?

Remember The Golden Rule? What ever happened to it? How come our president elect, many times, speaks as if he has forgotten about it?

This is my big problem. Lack of respect for our differences. This country is built on the premise that we are all different, that we came from different places, that we value and appreciate different things, but that together, we are so much better. So when the person who is about to take the most honored office in our great country models disrespectful behavior, it is a problem for me.

Can you imagine if teachers made choices as our president-elect has? Can you imagine the kind of students we would be raising? I think my career is a large part of the reason I just could not get behind Trump, and it boils down to something Meryl said...


Please believe me that my students are watching and listening. Many of them are afraid. I guess I'm lucky in that I was randomly born into white privilege, but friends, let's always remember the Golden Rule. Let's watch out for our neighbors be there to listen.

And to those in power, please, use your position to speak up. I hope the press does in fact hear what she was saying. Imagine if every person who had the kind of platform Meryl has could do the same thing. What might 2017 look like then?

0 comments:

Post a Comment