Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I pledge allegiance...


I don't claim the college I went to for undergrad. Some of my friends get mad at me about this, but there's a few reasons....

Actually, I have a confession to make first:





I never really cared too much about college football until about two years ago. (Don't judge me!) Two years ago, I started going to watch the Arizona State games at Cubby Bear here in Chicago with the ASU Chicago Alumni. I originally went with this girl:



bff!

And that same night, I met Kristy and the guy who I would go on to date for a year and a half:

(Ex not pictured.)




I kept going back to games and also met Laurie:






Because I was dating the ex, I kinda flaked on lots of the games - but I was still watching college football with him, except he's a Gator from University of Florida. So, I was loving college football because of new friends and the new boyfriend.


I'm so happy that I found Cubby Bear and all the connections it made me in Chicago. Also super  excited to go back this week to watch our season opener, but I wasn't always a Sun Devil...


I went to ASU for grad school, but I went to Northern Arizona University for undergrad. This is the thing that gets my friends from undergrad all ticked off - I don't follow NAU. Funny story about this though - I actually dated the mascot at NAU:




Louie the Lumberjack

Wait, let me rephrase....I dated the guy who *was* the mascot : )



also goes by Justin : )

Anyways, I saw Justin this summer and even he brought up this whole thing about how I claim ASU now saying, "You even dated Louie!"


But the thing is, while NAU was a great school and I had so much fun there, it just wasn't ASU. This may partly be because when you get into a master's program, it's totally what you're interested in. I LOVED my program at ASU. And then when I got to Chicago, I met awesome people because I went to ASU game watching.


So, it's not that I don't like NAU - it was an awesome experience. I had tons of great friends, my program was pretty great...but I just love ASU so much because of all the connections it has made me here in Chicago. I don't see this changing either - I am starting another master's at Northeastern Illinois and I have no desire for any golden eagle shirts. Sparky....my heart belongs only to you!




Our first game watching event is this Thursday and I can't wait! Bunch of friends all meeting up, and while I have to work on Friday (Laurie and Kristy were smart and asked for the day off!) I am good with getting some extra coffee on Friday morning and taking a nap after school.


I'm hoping it's a great season! We're not ranked, but not forgotten, either....falling just a few shy of #25. I read that our Wisconsin game is going to say lots about our season, so I'm especially excited for that game...






That's all for Monday and my second Slice of Life! Go Devils!


0 comments:

Post a Comment